History of Eloise, or Tribute to Eloise

Hello! This painting was done by request for a fine young filmmaker named Matt Roman who is making a documentary on Eloise, Michigan. I don't believe such a film has been made before featuring this fascinating place, and I am eagerly awaiting its release. For more information regarding this disappearing historic poorhouse/asylum, go to Tales of Eloise. It is a very good, informative site with oodles of historic facts, photos, and forums all about Eloise. This painting is my tribute to Eloise. Its about 22 x 15 inches in size, and took over forty stencils to make. It led me to using acrylics, as opposed to the spray paint I usually used at the time, because it was damn cold in January and I needed to work on it indoors instead of out in the garage. I find I have better control over the outcome when I use acrylics and rollers, if I want a more crisp image. Hope you like it!

2 comments:

QueenTech said...

Enjoyed my first look at your site. Really like the Eloise tribute. Are these characters from your story?

Uncanny Stencils said...

No these are real people from Eloise's past. Key figures, I guess you'd say. Check out Eloise: Poorhouse, Farm, Asylum and Hospital 1839-1984 by by Patricia Ibbotson (Arcadia Publishing). It explains who alot of these people and buildings are. Thanks for looking!

Post a Comment